Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Getting Well: My new year's resolution to be Happy and Healthy

Being a self-described weirdo I am quite used to hearing the phrase, “I don’t know what is wrong with you,” although it usually has more to do with something like fact that I own a Klingon/English dictionary than it does my health. To make a long and boring story short, beginning last June and until October I suffered from incredible fatigue, muscle pain, brain fog and headaches, all of which are still unexplained. I’ve been tested for everything from Celiac to Lyme to Vasculitis and, surprisingly, always checked out completely normal. NEVER thought I’d hear that!

Fortunately my health has recovered but the experience left me a little shaken, and 20 pounds heavier than I wanted to be. So I resolved back in November to make this year of my life the one where I take back control of my health and happiness. It might have taken me two months to get going, but I’m okay with that. This is why I make my new year’s resolutions on my birthday and implement them on January 1. So, how’s it going so far?

Let’s do health first. I’m going to the gym. I’m dancing again…sort of. Ok, I’m back in dance class. I’ve cut out alcohol for lots of reasons but am open to its responsible reintroduction at some point. I’m encouraged by the fact that my body seems to remember what it used to be able to do and is responsive to the memories. My diet has always been pretty good – the next step is to move away from anything that comes complete in a package. More on that some other time.

Happiness. Funny word, that. I am by nature a cheerful, happy person. What I really mean is fulfillment. I am drawn to certain things that I have not allowed myself enough of: brilliant colors, good food and drink, movement, sisterhood, writing, contemplation…. None of these are unobtainable and all of which are resurfacing in my life. I’ve heard it said that believing is seeing and you know what, I believe that to be true.

So, here’s to health, happiness, and 2010 – The Year that Does not Suck.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home