Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Sowing the seeds of love


It might be the part of me that never grew up and still likes to play in the dirt. It might be the part of me that wants to be self-sufficient and “stick it to The Man.” It might be the part of me that reveres Mother Nature and the mystery of creation. In truth, it is probably all of those things and more that gives me my love of gardening.

When I am working in the garden I feel both the peace of solitude and the community of life abundant. Insects and microbes, worms, toads and snakes. Creepy and crawly things make the time I spend in my garden sacred to me.

It might be hard to believe while the wind still whips off the harbor and snow still covers so much of the ground, but spring is coming swiftly. Seed catalogues are being delivered, DIY home stores are bringing out their peat and pots and seeds and hand tools. I’ve paid my registration fee for the community garden and tiny seedlings are straining for the sun from their little incubators on my kitchen table. Life still sleeps but if you listen to your body and to the world around you there is a stirring. A quickening.

More and more my life is pointing me in a certain direction. Part of this change in my life is sensing and embracing my own worth and happiness. I’ve felt the quickening of my own spirit. To that end I’ve decided that my garden plot this year will be a place of beauty and of healing. Flowers, herbs, red and orange fruits and vegetables. I have never planted a themed garden before, always having focused on production. I am looking forward to dedicating this space to my spiritual and physical healing this year. What a joy to have beauty for beauty’s sake!

There will be tomatoes, of course, and pumpkins. I also plan to have scarlet runner beans – those grew abundantly in my garden last year and I saved enough seeds to create a wall of beautiful red flowers. There will be lettuces and peas early in the season. Root vegetables to remind me to stay grounded: red skinned potatoes, enough radishes to remind me where I put the carrots, sweet potatoes and beets. I absolutely adore pickled beets and did not put up nearly enough of them last year. Don’t worry, the pickle-making will be documented so stay tuned in June! Then when it is warm enough: lavender, sage, oregano, purple basil, nasturtium, poppies, and chamomile…

I feel better just imagining it. That’s the power of magical thinking. When done with intention, the things we do, the things we create, resonate with memories, familiarity and power. In the very planning I imbue my garden with healing and happiness. You are welcome to visit any time!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home